Master of Science in Public Safety Leadership
The Master of Science in Public Safety Leadership contributes to the quality of life in every community. Law enforcement, fire and rescue, corrections, emergency medical, and probation and parole are essential to the welfare of every community. People who choose careers in these fields recognize the importance of effective leadership and professional preparation for achieving personal and social goals.
Mercer University's Master of Science degree in Public Safety Leadership equips candidates with the knowledge and skills to succeed at the highest level, including:
- Anti-terrorism task force directors
- Disaster relief and emergency response directors
- Homeland security directors
- Federal agents
- Chief deputy sheriffs, police chiefs
- Probation, parole, correctional administrators and commissioners, and assistant chiefs
- Fire chiefs
- Managers of private security firms
Through the Public Safety Leadership program, you will develop professional knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Global Perspectives of Public Safety
- Ethical Decision Making
- Organizational Theory and Behavior
- Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
- Organizational Communication
- Research, Analysis, and Problem Solving
The 36-semester hour Public Safety Leadership program has a core curriculum that provides each candidate with a solid foundation in leadership, organization administration, ethics, and research methods. Electives allow the program to be customized to individual career goals, with an array of courses, such as budgeting, corrections, cyber crime, and forensic psychology, all taught by experienced faculty, who bring both academic expertise and professional accomplishments.
- Small, interactive classes are designed to encourage professional growth and development. Courses are scheduled during the evenings. Each course meets only once per week.
- Classes are held at Mercer’s conveniently located campus in northeast Atlanta, near the I-85 and I-285 interchange.
- Student loans are available and your employer may provide tuition assistance to help finance your education.
- A degree from Mercer commands respect. U.S. News & World Report has consistently ranked Mercer as one of the leading universities in the South. Additionally, Mercer was named among The Best in North America by The Princeton Review.